Experimenting with different art materials is such an exciting fun experience. It stimulates one’s creativity. I work in various mediums such as pencil, pen, pastels, watercolours, acrylics, oils and airbrush. Over the past 18 years, my computer equipped with special painting software, tablet and digitising pen has become a practical tool to me, adding to my efficiency and creativity. Understanding graphic design and printing, has been truly beneficial in my relationship with Publishers and Ad agencies etc.
I started illustrating educational books for various publishers in 2002.
It was through the SCBWI Showcase CD in 2006, that Australian writer, Maria Rigoni, contacted me to illustrate and design her fascinating children’s storybook. This was an incredible inspiration and a wonderful journey for me. It has now been published and is available in Australia and on the web.
I have created many bookcovers and illustrations for educational books, posters and literature readers and poetry, since.
Children are wonderful and important and we need to embrace them with love, truth, beauty and inspiration. Children’s books play a huge role in this, and I enjoy being a part of this.”
Pease Note: All copyright belongs to me the artist, or to the individual Publishers for whom the artworks were created!
- Marleen’s work was featured in a book entitled ‘Contemporary Artists of Pretoria’.
- In 1998, Marleen was featured in the Digital Imaging and Publishing magazine, after having been commissioned to produce two covers for this prestigious publication.
- Numerous illustrations for a variety of schoolbooks for Educational Publishers since 2002 for SA, Botswana and Zambia (Heinemann, MML, Nasou etc)
Some special Publications:
- 2 x Children’s books for Germany -published by Chart Studios (2004)
- Illustrations for Children’s Puzzles – Raptor Publishers 2006
- “Nomtombomsa and the Sacred Pool “ - Juta Publishers 2008
- “Ouch” – Cambridge University Press 2008
- “Elizabeth and Unicorn Rose” – by Maria Rigoni 2008 www.urastory.com.au
- For Heinemann: SiSwati Lahloma Ladvuma , Stars GrR, Stars Gr1, Stars Gr2, Stars Gr3 Readers: “ Far away Places” , “Inventions”, “Avonture op Suidpunt”
Spot on Life Skills Teacher’s guides 2009
- Readers, workbook, educational posters, and a bookcover for Oxford University Press
- Life Skills books for Masterskills
- 6 x Workbooks, Science Platinum series, 2x bookcovers for Maskew Miller Longman
2010 - Educational Posters and Bookcovers MML,
- Cultural Illustrations for “Rainbow Nation Navigation” for Logogog Publishers
- Readers; “Bala”, “Mamela”, “Ncedani,” for Molteno
- MMl Posters and bookcovers
- Readers; “ Ann and the Animals”, “Making Houses” and “Plesierperd” for Heinemann, as well as other illustrations for Xitsongs literacy and Spot on series books.
2011 - Learner Book for Cambridge Press
- Gr4 Maths Books and Touch Talk Teacher’s Guides, Afrikaans and English and African languages Readers for Vivlia Publishers
- Sesotho and isiNdebele books for Nasou Via Afrika
- “Lion and Mouse”, The Wind & Sun” Readers and bookcovers for Molteno
- “Plat. Eng FAL Gr3 LB”, “A hi peleni nambu”,” PlatKha ri SheleMulenzhe” readers for MML
- Lifeskills and Workbooks and “Ukhanyo” for Oxford Publishers
- Setswana and Sepedi and other Readers for IO Publishers
- Afrikaans, History and Maths Books and Social Sciences Posters for Heinemann Publishers
2012 - Life Orientation and English books for MacMillan
- Readers, Creative Arts books Gr8-Gr12 for MML
- Maths Books for Vivlia
- Afrikaans Readers “ Bennie Brink”, Learner Books and Setswana and Ndebele books, a number of shortstories and Readers for Via Afrika
- Inkanyezi Drama & PoemsGr8 and Bookcovers for Oxford University Press
- Creative Arts and EMS Spot on for Heinemann Publishers
2013 - Carribean schoolbooks, shortstories for Watermark Publishers
- Bookcover for Via Afrika
- Various artworks for MML
- Bookcovers for Heinemann
(member of SCBWI - Society for Children's Books, Writers and Illustrators)